Kenneth Afienko PA is a Personal Injury Attorney in St Petersburg. Personal injury cases cover a wide range of situations in which a person has suffered some form of injury caused by the negligence or recklessness of another person. In some situations, negligence may not be an issue – such as in workers’ compensation cases, where coverage depends on whether the injury occurred on the job, as well as the status of the injured worker, rather than on whether negligence occurred.
Common personal injury cases include:
- Auto accidents, including truck accidents, bus accidents, and motorcycle accidents,
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents,
- Aviation and boating accidents,
- Medical and hospital malpractice,
- Product liability, involving defective products,
- Premises liability, including “slip and fall” cases,
- Dog bite or other animal bite injuries,
- Nursing home abuse and neglect,
- Bad-faith insurance company behavior,
- Workers’ compensation, including injuries covered by the Jones Act,
- Injuries suffered on the water, covered by maritime law,
- Defective drugs and medical devices,
- “Toxic torts” involving chemical exposure that causes serious harm,
- Birth injuries and other serious injuries to children,
- Any situation involving catastrophic injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, amputations, burn injuries, and other serious harm.
Compensation in personal injury cases often depends on the extent of the injury, how it was suffered, whether it caused death, and whether property was also damaged. Most personal injury claims seek compensation for losses like the following:
- Medical bills – current and future medical bills likely to be required to treat an ongoing injury, illness, or disability,
- Lost wages – current and future losses for as long as an injured person is unable to work at the same capacity he or she did before the injury,
- Replacement or repair costs for any property damaged in the incident,
- Compensation for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and other intangible losses suffered as a result of the incident,
- If fatal injuries occur, funeral and burial expenses, as well as compensation for the remaining family members or the estate of the deceased person for the profound loss they suffer due to a loved one’s untimely death.
Compensation may come from an applicable insurance policy, or it may come from a negligent party directly.
Those who suffer injuries often need the help of an experienced Personal Injury Attorney in order to obtain the compensation they deserve. Fill out a contact form or call Kenneth J. Afienko P.A. to schedule a Free Consultation if you believe you may have a personal injury case.